|
"Where did she go?" he thought. He was spooked that she had evaded his sights in the hall of mirrors.
"Why did we take those hallucinogens earlier?" he said.
Hiding in different dimensions can make you demented.
"I never thought I'd be able to make love as a cartoon".
"Where do thoughts come from?"
"Which voice is mine?"
"All of them, you idiot" came the reply.
"How can all this be happening in my head?"
He wandered around the circus seeing stars sparkling in the sky.
"Read like a book or red like an apple?"
Edgar sat by the pond, far more interested in the tales his mind could conjure up, than looking for his girlfriend.
"Imagine if water was malleable or could defy gravity"
He reached into the pond and found that it could do both. He began to manipulate it as a sculptor does to a piece of clay. He held the water up in front of his face to reveal his new reflection.
He could see himself, laying prone, tied to a large stone. The church windows were broken, ravens perched on the sill. 8 candles were lit with an atrium to fill. Ravens and light symbolised his plight, as the birds took flight with one of his eyes. Black and white in direct contrast. Were these the first signs of him going stark raving? An endless stream of images poured into his skull and he could attend to them all.
As he lay on the cobblestone, vermin crept over the top of his body. They nibbled on his skin and gnawed on the rope. A pickaxe was placed above his head awaiting the cloaked man to do the rest. He recoiled in horror and found himself back at the pond. His skin tingled as the mystical instinct grew within him.
He tried to pick up the water again, but the magic had gone.
"What was that?" he said.
"That's the death of an old part of you" came the response. The voice was not his own this time. He looked around and all he could see was the wind howl. He glanced down to see a gnome on the ground. His little legs moving like a hamster on a wheel as he wandered from the wet.
"Sure, you've stumbled into the land of the elves, young fella," said the gnome.
Edgar felt a sense of relief as he knew this was a helpful little creature.
"Gold, of course"
"Monks and holy men are looking for gold?"
"What do you think the alchemists and shamans have been doing for millennia? They're following a hunch that is built into the fabric of nature. Human beings have a religious instinct, look at yourselves. Cathedrals scattered all over your land, aiming upwards, with beautiful patterned latticed glass. Rites and rituals of initiation Poetry and story. The abracadabra of drama. The rational mind has led you astray, now today, you sought to find the way".
Edgar's mind told him he was hallucinating. His eyes told him this was more real than normal reality.
"So what are we to do with the religious instinct?"
"Never hide from it. Never run from it. It's a place where the artists among you live. Wherever it leads, you must follow it down the rabbit hole. Anchor yourself to the world you inhabit but you must also swim on the surface of spirit. Creative imagination is how the artist walks the tightrope between the Divine and the mundane. He brings magic back to vivify the world".
"Magic?"
"Yes. Magic. You don't believe that a story or a painting is transmitting magic?"
"It's not magic," said Edgar to the gnome.
"Exactly". The gnome did a jig of celebration to highlight the blindside of Edgar's rational mind.
Edgar lay on his back, trying to make sense of it all. Visions and gnomes, stories untold. As the stars above glistened, he felt like they were winking at him. He had been given a slice of paradise and allowed to smell its secret scent.
His mind had been sublimed. He reclined in a daze and could hear footsteps on the way. They somehow seemed a familiar sound.
"Edgar!? There you are. I've searched the entire circus grounds for you."
"Oh! Hello" said Edgar. Barely able to string a sentence together. He looked at his girlfriend as if he had new eyes but still couldn't recognise her.
"Where have you been?" she said.
"I just went to elfland for a while"
"What are you talking about?"
"I mean, I've just been laying here by the pond".
Edgar's girlfriend took his hand and helped him plant his feet on the floor. She held him up as they moved to the door.
"Let's get out of here, those gnomes are scaring me".
Yep he replies, and hands me two cell phones. I hired the off duty maid to come in and clean the carpets for $100 bucks. The Host gave me all the left over stationary and pins for the kids at the United way daycare center. So did you figure out who owns the phones? Yep. The two State senators who where hosting this party. I dug them out of the trash behind the bar. I also figure out the numbers they are calling were to a local escort service. I placed a called to them to tell them what a wonderful time our friends had and would like to make sure we were welcome to bring a few more guess next time. Did they give the names of our senator? OH yeah, and a list of all there dirt. I will talk to our main man at the front desk and get There other cell phone numbers I am sure they will want to donate to our local charities after such a wonderful stay in our fair city. Yes indeed. Make sure they are aware that we recycle Electronics as well as anything else left at the parties. That we are able and willing to wipe on devices leaving no trace of past accounts. Absolutely will do. Is there anything else we can recycle from this job? Yes a couple of tips the servers have given me about a buyout possibility cornering the market on vapor detection devices used for confine spaces and gas detection for refineries. Did you tip off Max at the trade commissions about insiders trading going on after today? Yes: Max was updated with all the names that came to this party. The listing for all the companies too. Good old Max our favorite algorithm. Does the work of a 100 people. Lets get this food to the shelter before we call it a night. Lots of good food and drink for those who come in late tonight. Darby loads the last box onto Big Bertha and give me a high five.
Darby is still in the lobby drinking coffee. That stuff is going to kill you. Then I will dye happy he says. Did you find where he is hanging out? Yep; She is in the gym working on her abs We head to the gym and take a seat next to the doors. She is going from station to station working out like there is no tomorrow.
Who are you she ask? We are just two guys who clean up after parties. What do you want with me? Darby speaks up how about you tell us why you are living in a hotel and you don't have a room? You would not believe me if I told you she says. We would if you tell us the truth. We really like the truth.
My name is Myra my stepfather brought me here 3 days ago after he caught me sleeping with my boyfriend. He took my phone and told me if I didn't do what he said he would tell my mom everything. He told me he had it all on camera what went on in the house. I said I would do anything if he would not tell my mom. So when we got here I was told that I was suppose to take care of a very rich man name Bill. I went to his room and knock on the door. A old man who was naked answered the door and I bolted down the hall and have been living in the stairway and on the roof ever since. One of the bellboys slip me the cleaners pass key and told me which rooms I could stay in. He would call when someone check in. He also brought me food from the restaurant.
Myra ask how are we going to get out of the gym? With the help of a friend I tell Myra as the manager walks though the door. All done gentlemen. Yes all done for the day we reply back.
No comments:
Post a Comment